The Week in Review: March 25, 2016
Terrorism gripped the headlines again this week as terrorists struck the airport and metro station in Brussels, Belgium. Naturally, as Jeff Deist points out, this massive failure in government security will lead to calls for more government funding, and more control over the lives of citizens. Unfortunately, it’s the ordinary citizens who suffer the most from the West’s tone-deaf foreign policy that helps the terrorists recruit new followers while increasing the targeting of Europeans and Americans.
For most Western governments, though, it’s just business as usual with the usual efforts for more taxes, more controls on trade, and a disregard for the lessons of socialist regimes, both past and present.
This week on Mises Weekends, Jeff Deist joins Jay Taylor on his radio show to discuss how both central banks and commercial banks are poised to change your life in some very unpleasant ways.
Central banks, and central bankers, are in uncharted waters. They don't know how to create economic growth, they don't know how to fight the great boogeyman of deflation, and they don't know how — or if — they'll ever be able to return to a time of "normal" monetary policy. Their pretense of knowledge, of being able to effectively control currencies used by billions of people, is coming to an end.
- Job Growth Doesn’t Mean We’re Getting Richer by Ryan McMaken
- Give Us More Tax Revenue, Or Else by Matthew Doarnberger
- Markets Are Our Best Hope for Peaceful Cooperation by Andrew Syrios
- Stalinism Through a Child’s Eyes by J. Wiltz
- Rubio’s Failure: How Our Broken Economy Fuels Voter Rage by Hunter Lewis
- Tibor Machan, RIP by David Gordon
- Pot Legalization: Obama, SCOTUS Defend Local Control Against GOP Attacks by Ryan McMaken
- The Batman Movie They Should Have Made by Tho Bishop
- Ron Paul: Protectionism Won't Help by Ron Paul
- A Boom Town Recession That Could Save Us All by Mark Thornton
- Radical Ideologies Are Only One Part of the Terrorism Equation by Ryan McMaken
- The Inequality of Wealth and Income by Ludwig von Mises
- Janet Yellen: Armed, Dangerous, And Lost by David Stockman
- A Better Approach To Terrorism by Jeff Deist
- Brussels Bombings: More Blowback for Europe by Ryan McMaken
- February Austrian Money Metric: Money Supply Growth Falls to Four-Month Low by Ryan McMaken
- Socialism Starves the People: Cuba Edition by Shawn Ritenour
- More Resources on Cuba by Shawn Ritenour
- The Myth of Tax "Reform" by Murray Rothbard