The Week in Review: December 12, 2015
The world waits to see if next week is finally the week that the groundhogs at the Fed announce their long-anticipated interest rate hike. Can the economy survive whatever small bump the Fed deals out? Perhaps, but any temporary stability doesn’t change the inherent instability of our current monetary regime. Even with today’s technology, central planners can’t predict the future or know the “optimal quantity of money.” Only by returning to true sound money, and a proper appreciation for the market, will true, sustainable prosperity emerge.
In honor of the twenty-fourth anniversary of the collapse of the Soviet Union, we have a special guest on the latest episode of Mises Weekends, Dr. Yuri Maltsev. A Mises Senior Fellow and a Soviet economist during the Gorbachev era, Maltsev shares his thoughts on the West’s enduring love affair with socialism. He and Jeff also discuss its political consequences in regard to Obama, Trump, and the Bernie Sanders phenomenon. This is an interview you won’t want to miss.
- Piketty Is Wrong: Markets Don’t Concentrate Wealth by Louis Rouanet
- Why Gold-Backed Money Doesn’t Bring Booms and Busts by Frank Shostak
- End the Sugar Tax Now by Gary Galles
- Government Debt Is Not Like Private Debt by Simon Wilson
- No, "Big Data" Can’t Predict the Future by Per Bylund
- "Capitalism" Destroyed Itself? by Matt McCaffrey
- Blowing Up the Death Star Didn’t Destroy Economy, Building It Did by Tho Bishop
- Man, Economy, and Beer: Rothbard-Themed Gastropub Opens in Connecticut
- Article Submission Guidelines for Mises Daily
- India’s Failing Gold Monetization Scheme: Seizure Imminent? by Paul-Martin Foss
- Viva Venezuela ... But Not Yet by Carmen Elena Dorobăț
- Gun Control Fails: What Happened in England, Ireland, and Canada by Ryan McMaken
- Transcript: Ask David Gordon Anything
- Top Ten Most-Read mises.org Articles in November
- German translation of "PC is Control, Not Etiquette"
- Thanks, Janet Yellen: Homeownership in US Falls to 25-Year Low by Ryan McMaken
- Why the No-Fly-List Gun Ban Is a Terrible Idea by Tho Bishop
- Bubble Watch: No-Down-Payment Jumbo Mortgage Makes a Comeback by Paul-Martin Foss