The Week in Review: April 2, 2016
This weekend, over 130 scholars from over 10 countries and 58 colleges and universities gathered in Auburn for the 2016 Austrian Economics Research Conference. The continual growth of AERC is a testament to the growing strength of the Austrian school, both in America and abroad. As Lew Rockwell wrote this week:
Austrian economics is flourishing, with the number of academics working in an expressly Rothbardian tradition growing every year. Meanwhile, the texts of Rothbard are being consumed voraciously, indeed more than ever before, and especially by bright young minds seeking out something more intellectually satisfying than the stale platitudes of official “liberalism” and “conservatism.”
One of the most special parts of AERC is that it brings together a number of scholars that have gone through the student programs offered by the Mises Institute — a special community that forms the intellectual backbone to the continued growth of the Austrian tradition.
Don't miss the two remaining named lectures from AERC:
At 10:45 central time, you can listen to the live broadcast of the The Ludwig von Mises Memorial Lecture (Sponsored by James Walker): Jeffrey Herbener from Grove City College will talk on "Time and the Theory of Cost."
At 4:15 central time, you can listen to the live broadcast of The Lou Church Memorial Lecture (Sponsored by the Lou Church Foundation): Jörg Guido Hülsmann from the University of Angers, will talk on "The Political Economy of Gratuitousness."
- The Legalization Cure for the Heroin Epidemic by Mark Thornton
- Price Controls May Be On the Way by Paul-Martin Foss
- Economics: It's Simpler Than You Think by David Gordon
- Murray Rothbard Soars, Bill Buckley Evaporates by Llewellyn H. Rockwell Jr.
- Will North Korea and Cuba Ever Be Wealthy? by Ryan McMaken
- The Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays Now Available in Japanese
- What the Federal Reserve Could Do by Paul-Martin Foss
- New York Finally Legalizes (and Heavily Taxes) Mixed Martial Arts by Matthew Doarnberger
- Only the Private Sector Can Determine the "Correct" Number of Immigrants by Ryan McMaken
- Mises: The Individual Within Society by Ludwig von Mises
- California Weighs a $15 Per Hour Minimum Wage by Jonathan Newman
- Terrorist Attacks Made Worse by Government Failure in Europe by Ron Paul
- Statistics: Achilles' Heel of Government by Murray N. Rothbard