Mises Institute Masters Program
As we take the initial steps to prepare our application for national accreditation, the Mises Institute excitedly welcomed its second cohort of graduate students who began their first course in the program on January 4, 2021.
This new cohort of graduate students join the August 2020 cohort in pursuing a Master of Arts degree in Austrian economics. The average undergraduate GPA of those accepted into the Mises Institute’s graduate program is 3.55 with half of those admitted already holding at least one graduate degree.
Applications for the next start date of August 2021 are coming in at a brisk pace and several outstanding applicants have already been accepted into what will be the third cohort.
110 years ago, six of America's most powerful men secretly gathered at Jekyll Island to lay the foundation for the creation of the Federal Reserve. This October, the Mises Institute took over what was once JP Morgan's club for a Supporters Summit in celebration of ideas explicitly hostile to those that motivated this conspiracy of the elite.
On Thursday night, we held an unmasked toast to the End of the Fed. After that, we were joined by our friend Amity Shlaes. One of America's most important historians, fresh off her book on the Great Society, Ms. Shlaes discussed the monetary failings of the 1960s.
Friday featured a full slate of speakers dissecting and condemning the hubris of those who, like the Fed's founders, dismissed the liberty and independence of their fellowmen in favor of their designs. Dr. Patrick Newman applied the Rothbardian lens of Liberty vs. Power to highlight the anti-crony motivations of Jackson's war on the Second Bank of the United States, while an evening lecture by Judge Napolitano exposed the tortured logic used to justify the creation of any central bank within America's constitutional framework. The weaponization of the coronoavirus for the purpose of tyranny was the focus of talks by Dr. Peter Klein and Dr. Tom Woods. Dr. Thomas DiLorenzo and Jeff Deist both offered their scathing analysis of America's political environment, with talks on socialist destructionism and the Left's desire to use the guise of democracy to impose their will on the politically vanquished.
In an important and positive contrast to damage imposed by the state, the Institute's Economics for Business project was represented with a panel on practical Austrian economics for entreprenerus and small businesses.
Saturday consisted of a beautiful day spent with friends and fellow travelers enjoying the sights of Jekyll Island. At a time when so many institutions seemed determined to leave us isolated and miserable, there is no greater act of rebellion than enjoying quality time with allies.
Special thanks to our host committee for making this Supporters Summit possible.
In the words of Jeff Deist, Ron Paul is unstoppable.
There's no greater testiment to Dr. Paul's legacy than generations of fans and supporters that joined us in the great town of Lake Jackson, Texas. The event, held the Satruday after the election, was also the perfect prescription to recover after the latest political circus. Joined by Daniel McAdams of the Ron Paul Institute, the event offered one-of-a-kind post-election commentary and a look at the next threats to American liberty.
Special thanks to Steve and Cassandra Torello for making this event possible.
Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics
In December, the Mises Institute published a new special double issue on entrepreneurship! Guest edited by Per Bylund, this issue suggests directions for future research and collaboration within Austrian economics and in the scholarship of entrepreneurship. Contributions offer a multitude of perspectives on a broad set of entrepreneurship-related issues. From Dr. Bylund’s introduction, “The articles… address directions for further expansion beyond the present boundaries of Austrian economics and entrepreneurship theory. This…issue includes articles that open new lines of thinking for Austrian economists with an interest in entrepreneurship as well as for entrepreneurship scholars with an interest in Austrian economics.”
This issue of the QJAE broke records for page views upon being published, doubling the traffic from the last edition on the Scholastica platform.
In the fourth quarter, the Mises Wire continued the trend all year of setting monthly highs in traffic in each month.
Top 10 New Articles from the Mises Wire and Power and Market
- Police Officers Threaten to Quit If the Public Keeps Demanding Accountability by Ryan McMaken
- What the Covid Vaccine Hype Fails to Mention by Gilbert Berdine, MD
- No Privacy, No Property: The World in 2030 According to the WEF by Antony P. Mueller
- Joe Biden Wants a Huge New Tax on Gun Owners by Mark Thornton
- The United Nations and the Origins of "The Great Reset" by Antony P. Mueller
- The Absurdity of Covid "Cases" by Jeff Deist
- What Will It Take for Americans to Consider Breaking Up? by Jeff Deist
- "Build Back Better": Why Are Both Biden and Boris Now Using This Phrase? by Mark Tovey
- YouTube Attempts to Silence the Mises Institute by Jeff Deist
- The Media Is Now Openly Pushing Secession as the Election Nears by Ryan McMaken
Top 5 Articles from Mises.org/es
- ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre liberalismo y "neoliberalismo"? by Ryan McMaken
- El accidentado camino de los impuestos en Estados Unidos by Charles Adams
- 4 razones por qué el Socialismo falla by Antony P. Mueller
- El filósofo-teólogo: Santo Tomás de Aquino by Murray N. Rothbard
- Liberalismo y capitalismo by Ludwig von Mises
Economics in One Lesson
Thanks to our generous donors, the Mises Institute has made hardback copies of Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt freely available to students and community organizations. In the fourth quarter of 2020, we were able to handout over 10,000 copies of this book. One particular event was in coordination with Young Americans For Liberty at their Hazlitt Coalition Legislator summit. Over 100 state legislators received Economics in One Lesson, with several legislators requesting copies to hand to colleagues in government.
Economics for Beginners Videos (A series designed to cover all the basics in less than 30 minutes. The first video was released in 2020)
- Introduction 73,055 views on cdn.mises.org (Youtube: 590)
- What is Economics? 70,822 (10,935)
- What is Profit? 60,784 (1,384)
- What is Cost? 59,545 (1,404)
- What is Money? 41,439 (2,233)
- What is Capitalism? 37,014 (5,518)
Top 10 Podcast/MP3 Downloads
- Jeff Deist on Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Revolutionaries, and Mussolini Praising Keynes (A Neighbor's Choice; Sept 29, 2020) 26,256
- Hoppe's Democracy with Stephan Kinsella (HAPod) 12,862
- Hoppe's Democracy: The God That Failed (Bhandari on HAPod) 11,851
- Per Bylund on The Seen, the Unseen, and the Unrealized (HAPod) 11,493
- MMT Explained with Dr. Robert Murphy (HAPod) 10,709
- When Money Dies (McKaen on HAPod) 10,278
- The Fact-Free Covid Dystopia (Woods at 2020 Jekyll) 9,454
- The Covid Cult (Woods at 2020 Texas) 7,172
- The Forgotten Hazlitt Book (Deist on HAPod) 7,058
- The Managerial Revolution (Welsch on HAPod) 7,036
Top 10 PDF Downloads
- Introduction to Economics 13,578
- Human Action 7,027
- Socialism: An Economic and Sociological Analysis 2,514
- Theory and History 2,508
- Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics 2,112
- Austrian Perspective on the History of Economic Thought, Volume 1 2,092
- Essentials of Economics 1,939
- "Karl Marx: Communist as Religious Eschatologist" by Rothbard (RAE, Vol. 4, 1990 ) 1,917
- The Austrian, September-October 2020 1,871
- Lectures on Political Economy, Volume 2 1,758
Top 10 YouTube Videos
- The Fact-Free COVID Dystopia | Thomas E. Woods. Jr. 118,1321
- The United Nations and the Origins of "The Great Reset" | Antony P. Mueller 38,498
- Do Elections Matter? | Ron Paul 27,135
- The Fact-Free Lockdown Hysteria | Thomas E. Woods, Jr. 26,957
- Our National Psychosis | Jeff Deist 26,116
- The Absurdity of Covid "Cases" | Jeff Deist 21,021
- The Imposers and the Imposed Upon | Jeff Deist 15,921
- The Google Election | Michael Rectenwald 15,641
- How Russiagate Ruined Everything | Daniel McAdams 12,951
- Panel: Election Postmortem | Deist, McAdams, Woods 11,661